Inland Marine Insurance is all about Protecting Your Property on the Move.
It is a type of insurance that provides coverage for goods and property that are in transit or temporarily in storage. Unlike traditional property insurance, which covers property at a fixed location, inland marine insurance is designed to protect property that is on the move, such as goods in transit or equipment used off-site.
While traditional marine insurance originated in the shipping industry, where it was used to protect goods and cargo that were transported by sea, inland marine insurance covers products, materials, and equipment when transported over land—e.g., via truck or train—or while temporarily warehoused by a third party. Collisions and cargo theft are the two most frequent causes of inland marine losses. Today, it is used across a variety of industries to protect property that is constantly on the move, such as construction equipment, musical instruments, and artwork.
Special inland marine coverages include:
- Bailee’s Customer Coverage—Protects clients’ property that is left in the care of the insured. Example: If the insured operates a warehouse or repair shop.
- Builder’s Risk—Protects structures and materials during new construction projects or renovations.
- Fine Arts—Keeps valuable items protected while on exhibit, in transit, or on loan.
- Installation materials —Covers materials from the moment they are loaded onto a truck until they are used or installed.
- Motor Truck Cargo—Keeps clients’ goods protected while the business transports and delivers them.
The business that requires inland marine:
- Food Vendors
- Network and communications
- High-tech companies
- Photography industry
- Construction equipment transport and storage
- Medical equipment suppliers
Guide to choose the right Inland Marine Insurance
1. Understand the Needs: There are 2 types of Inland Marine Insurance
a. Specific Policy: Issued for a specific purpose i.e the coverage will end once the transit is complete.
b. Open Policy: Policy usually covers the movement of the goods for a duration example a year.
Depending on the needs user can select a policy.
2. Loss Settlement process: Identify whether the loss settlement is on the Agreed value or the Actual Cash value. The Agreed value provides better coverage and is usually better, but it is also costlier. Hence, It is advisable to check the Claim Settlement process while choosing Inland Marine Insurance.
3. Analyse the exclusions: There might be several criteria for the insurance companies where they will not be covering various incidents. It is necessary to understand what is not covered in the policy.
4. Review the Quote: The estimation for the policy can only be done by understanding and analysing the quote. The quote should be reviewed carefully to make sure every aspect of the business is covered.
5. Look for the best in different Insurers – The extent of the insurance varies from one to another. Compare these and choose the best according to the requirements.
Advantages of Inland Marine Insurance
1. One of the key benefits of inland marine insurance is that it provides coverage for property that is not covered by traditional property insurance policies. For example, if a contractor frequently transports tools and equipment to different job sites, then the property may not be covered by a traditional commercial property insurance policy. Inland marine insurance can provide the protection needed for the property on the move.
2. In addition to providing coverage for property in transit, inland marine insurance can also provide coverage for property that is temporarily in storage. For example, if a musician who stores instruments at a rehearsal space, inland marine insurance can provide coverage for the instruments in the event of theft or damage.
3. Another benefit of inland marine insurance is that it can provide coverage for a wide range of perils, including theft, damage, and loss. This can give peace of mind to the insured knowing that the insured property is protected no matter what happens while it is in transit or storage.
Prospects of the Inland Marine Insurance market
The Inland Marine is typically among one of the most profitable P&C lines of business. But Covid-19 genuinely impacted the insurance market and brought it down to loss-making. However, the market has recovered from its lows and has rebounded.
According to reports the Inland Marine Insurance Market is expected to grow at a booming CAGR of 2023-2030 worldwide. Not only the US and the European market the Asia-Pacific, Africa, and Middle Eastern market is expected to grow rapidly.
Inland marine insurance is a vital type of insurance that provides coverage for property that is on the move. The small-business owners usually struggle to estimate the size of inland marine insurance needed. It’s very difficult to predict the size of a future loss, but it can be started by evaluating the value of the insured property.
Whether it is a contractor transporting equipment, a musician storing instruments, or a business owner shipping goods, inland marine insurance is there to provide the protection needed for any property in transit or storage.